8 Jul 2015

Springtime in the Pyrenees

It had been a few years since last time I saw a proper spring, and I was excited for it. I don't suffer from any allergies so far nor I hold any grudge against bright colors, so I couldn't wait to reach my hometown during my April holidays to immerse myself in the expansive, blossoming fields of the always captivating Pyrenees. Luckily, I didn't have to wait much, because since the day I arrived, the weather welcomed me with incredibly clear, blue skies that had awoken all trees and flowers early.

The cherry queen, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
Congosto de l'Entremont, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
Textures and colors, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
Ligüerre de Cinca, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
I would only stay for two weeks, but that didn't mean I would stay in my hometown the whole time; actually, I felt like driving my car to some other places in the proximity, and that's exactly what I did almost on a daily basis: everyday a new destination, places I hadn't been to in ages or some completely new to me, despite the closeness. One of the former was Tella, a beautiful, tiny hamlet perched atop a mountain that offers spectacular views of the valleys around. Last time I visited, I was a kid on a School excursion, so it was about time to pay it another visit, and stroll along the so-called "Ruta de las ermitas", an easy path that, starting and ending in the hamlet, brings walkers to three medieval Shrines with some majestic scenery.

Tella I, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
San Juan y Pablo I, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
San Juan y Pablo II, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
Virgen de Fajanillas, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
Tella II, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
Another trip saw me going a bit further, all the way to the heart of the Pyrenees; after a long and bumpy road on my fathers jeep, we reached a gentle meadow at 1.928 meters of altitude, where we parked the vehicle and started the real walk. After going up and down some rocky slopes and crossing some pine forests, we finally reached our destination: Ibón de Plan, or Basa de la Mora, a beautiful mountain lake surrounded by snowy peaks. The weather that day was cold and cloudy, yet we didn't let that stop us from enjoying our trek and subsequent lunch, delighted by the spotless air and the fantastic views.

April ice, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
Bending down to drink I, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
Bending down to drink II, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
Basa de la Mora I, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
Basa de la Mora II, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
On the day before my departure, it was time to visit what probably is the most well known landmark of my whole region and the place most of the travelers journey there to see: Ordesa National Park. I have walked and explored many areas of the Park on multiple occasions, yet it never ceases to astound me with its beauty and its diversity, its magic and its purity. The weather was great again, so the long trek was a breeze, and the landscapes around, with the last spots of snow melting under the spring sun, were nothing short of mesmerizing.

The last snow I, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
The last snow II, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
The last snow III, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
Beginning and end, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
Thus my vacation concluded: memories renewed with fresh experiences, bonds reinforced, people and places re-embraced. Very curious, how time works, for a short stay such as this can remain present in the memory, enduring the test of time, while endless routine days fade away with scary speed.

Verticality game, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm
Curve game, GM1 + Panasonic Leica 15mm

2 comments:

  1. I love the subtle reflection of the mountains in Bending down to drink I and II.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Derek! It was a very cloudy, grey day but I enjoyed the scenery nevertheless!

      Delete