6 Feb 2017

Autumn in Japan I: landscapes

Autumn has always been my favorite season, perhaps because it was the more diverse in colors up in the mountains where I grew up, or because the morning mist used to cover most of the world around my little town, from time to town, sparkling the imagination and giving birth to countless stories. Perhaps because it was coated with melancholy after the noisy summer, or because it meant resuming school, one year older. Whatever the reason, the months between September and December were always full of emotions and reflection.

Square and circle, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Framing the wilderness, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Blurred reflection, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
It's been 9 years since I last experienced a proper autumn, or any autumn for that matter, since the country where I have been living this past decade is no prone to such nostalgia, that's why I could  not resist the urge to book a flight last October when I was given the opportunity, and in no time I was thrown literally amidst the falling leaves after all this time. Only this time it was not back home, and rather on the other side of the world: in Japan.

St. Paul's Catholic Church (Kuraizawa), GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Autumn in Nikko, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Autumn in Nikko II, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Last year I visited the land of the rising sun for the first time, after having waited for years to finally have the right opportunity to do so, and now, roughly a year later, here I was again, back in the country that has nurtured my mind the last decade. But it was a different season this time, and the places I would visit would also differ: two trips, two colors, two areas.

The roof in the puddle, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Kinugawaonsen, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Lonely vending machine, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Since the main purpose of this visit was to experience "autumnness", obviously the choice of itinerary was quite clear: I would go wherever in the country the autumn was approaching its peak season during the week I had the chance to stay there, and that meant going north, since the season was only starting and central Japan was still quite green. 2 prefectures were chosen: Gunma and Aomori, also because both of them would be new to me.

Kanmangafuchi's Jizo statues I, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Kanmangafuchi's Jizo statues II, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Kanmangafuchi's Jizo statues III, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Kanmangafuchi's Jizo statues IV, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Kanmangafuchi's Jizo statues V, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Kanmangafuchi's Jizo statues VI, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
The weather was quite grey for the most part of the trip, but not that cold yet, so the colors had not faded quite as much as I had hoped yet, but it was interesting to see that, in just a matter of days, I was able to witness the transition between the early stages of autumn and a more ripe, ochre state, the one we normally associate with the season. Nevertheless, the coexistence of green and yellow had a beauty of its own, and the misty, drizzly days had a particular charm that made the trip all the more enjoyable.

Rocks and lichens, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Lichen textures, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
The rock, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Home, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
After the storm, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
A ray of light, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
The fall, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Amidst the kingdom of green, there were always occasional bursts of red that made the discovery more exciting, as if my eyes were searching for a treasure and, once spotted, it all had been worth it. Besides, the most North I ventured, the redder the foliage became, as it was to be expected, and temperature decreased accordingly, making me feel, at last, as if I were living a real autumn at last.

One at a time, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Through the foliage, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
But trees and foliage were not the only focus of my interest, for I walked along streams for hours, and water became probably my most precious companion throughout the whole trip. Still streams that seemed immobile, fast currents hurrying down the gentle slopes, fierce waterfalls fed by the recent rains, small threads of water trickling down the rock walls. Since I was traveling light, no tripod was in my bag, so all images were shot handheld with the invaluable help of the stabilization of the camera and the lens, that allowed me to go as slow as 1 second to blur the motion.

Kinugawa river, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Oirase stream I, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Oirase stream II, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Oirase stream III, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Oirase stream IV, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Yu river I, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Yu river II, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Yu river III, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Yudaki Falls, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Ryuzu Falls, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
And then there were also lakes, majestic and silent mirrors of multiple colors, serene and placid ponds were the world above was reflected without complains, home to myriads of birds and fish yet still and unwrinkled as a newly bought shirt, inviting the observer to slow down, to admire its purity, to enjoy its peace.

Yunoko lake I, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Yunoko lake II, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Yunoko lake III, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Yunoko lake IV, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Yet not all was colorful around me, for there were also dark days full of clouds, and the light was not always on my side, but that never discouraged me to go out and walk some more: the sole fact of wandering around those quiet forests was prize enough, and grabbing a few nice pictures along the way would be only icing on the cake. That's what makes photography enjoyable and stress-free for me: it is always a bonus, a gift, a surprise that complements my travels, never the main reason or measurement of the value of them. The feelings come first, and the images follow at a distant second, whenever there is a chance for them.

The living and the dead, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Shadows, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
There is only one thing that makes a journey through a magical landscape more special than the surroundings themselves, and that is the company you bring along to share the emotions with, for having someone walking by your side multiplies the joy of discovery and calm all the more. For that I must be grateful, since my trip was never a lonely one and I had the pleasure to share it with people I love. See you next time again, Japan!

Senjogahara Moor, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm
Senjogahara Moor panorama, GX80 + Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm

No comments:

Post a Comment